Monday, June 04, 2007

oh crap, i'm stranded!

Oh Crap, I’m Stranded! returns this week with a selection by Jeff, of my favorite Indy Racing blog, My Name Is IRL. I had the opportunity to meet Jeff at the Indy 500 during the mid-race rain delay. It was a brief visit-but it was great to meet him in person. I often find myself going to his blog for my IndyCar news. He reads the articles for me and cuts out the filler. Such as introductions like, “the Argent-Red Bull-Joost-Panasonic-7-Eleven-Bryant-Mernards-Kraft-Rock & Republic-Ethanol powered Dallara Honda Firestone car of the Indianapolis 500 champion and number three points leader, who is the teammate of the former championship winner who left CART (now the Champ Car World Series) but who may be considering a move to Formula-1…”, and just gives me the meat of the story. All while providing entertaining commentary.

Jeff’s Pick
The Patsy Cline Story by Patsy Cline


This is a tricky question. I don’t know where I’m stranded, who I’m stranded with or what the conditions of being stranded are (plane crash, car failure, amnesia), so instead of digressing into a David Lynch movie I will forego the follow-up questions and just assume “Oh Crap” means I’m pretty well bummed out. While “Bummed Out” music for me can run the gamut from Sinatra’s “In the Wee Small Hours” to Nine Inch Nails’ “Broken”, I’m gonna go with Mrs Patsy Cline.


I’m not generally a fan of country music and I would delete that annoying “Tra-la-la Triangle” song out of the iPod, but otherwise “The Patsy Cline Story” serves as the Mother of All Sympathies for things gone south. Just about every song may as well be called “Oh, you think YOU got it bad?”, and Patsy’s epic voice is always a comfort without being so sappy that a guy can’t enjoy it.


Something about rainy days makes me gravitate to this album, and no, it’s not her storm-related death in a plane crash. At least, I don’t think it is.

Would you like to participate in Oh Crap, I'm Stranded!? Submissions may be emailed here. You can read more about Oh Crap! here.

No comments: