Wednesday, April 11, 2007

mom's birthday: dog park

One of the things that my mom requested to do on her birthday was to take Derby to the park. I’ve wanted to find a dog park in town, so I did a little googling and found one not five minutes from our house tucked inside a subdivision. All of the parks in Bowling Green are very nice. However, I really had no idea what to anticipate from the dog park. Well, it exceeded my expectations by miles. The small dog field was larger than what I expected the entire area to be! Two huge fenced in fields, one for over 30 pounds and one for under. Plus, a doggie water fountain. So nice.I was a little disappointed when we got there and the park was empty, save a man swinging away at golf balls (not in the dog area). But Derby did enjoy getting to run through the huge field and I enjoyed not having to herd him away from a compost heap or the garden. The smells at the park were fascinating to Derby. I wondered if he was scanning the ground going, “Maltese… Dandie Dinmont Terrier…Lhasa Apso…Welsh Corgi…Pug…”. Mom said he wasn’t, but I told her we really have no way of knowing. We were discussing leaving when Marley, a long haired Jack Russell, and her mommy showed up. Not long after we were joined by Maggie, a skittish 7-month-old Boston Terrier, and her parents. Frisbee! Tennis Ball! Run! Jump! Play! Fun! Oh boy! Oh boy! Derby ran so hard. Finally he wore himself out. He’d try to run, but would only make it a few feet before lying down.The dog park may have been the most awesome thing Derby has ever seen in his life/the last five months.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

CUTE! We took Vader to the dog park once. He only wanted to play with the other humans...

Anonymous said...

Look at all the dandelions. We have white on our lawns of a different sort today...not plant-like.

Anonymous said...

When did you get a dog??

Jennifer Coomer said...

Derby really loves the dandelions, too. I'll blow on one and he tries to catch the fuzzies. So cute. It's been jacket weather lately. But it's starting to warm up a slowly. Crazy weather.

Anonymous said...

That Dog Park looks fabulous!! I wish we had something as nice as that. The ones I've visited with Miffy are not fenced and there is no "little dogs" area... too scary for Miffy (and for me).