Tuesday, March 27, 2007

see lost river!

When my family and I first moved to Bowling Green, twenty years ago this June, Lost River Cave was this place on Nashville Rd. that was fenced up and broken down and people didn’t go there with any good on their minds. For many years people (selfish careless people) used it as a dumping ground. This historic place and wonder of God’s creation, was closed for many years. It is an underground river that surfaces in a few places along its path, including inside a cave.

Several years ago a group of people got together and formed the non-profit Friends of Lost River. Volunteers removed trash, garbage, house hold items, kitchen appliances (refrigerators!), and two cars (!). The debris was weighed and totaled over 40 tons! Now, the Friends of LRC will make sure that something like that will never take place again.Some 15 years after we moved away, I have returned to Bowling Green and live less than two miles from Lost River Cave. Last Saturday my friend, Johnny G., and I enjoyed a tour and boat ride there. It was my first visit and I was not disappointed. Now, it’s no Mammoth Cave, but it is truly spectacular in its own right. I’ll not give away too many of its secrets so that you can enjoy the tour yourself one day. I learned that I live in the Lost River Valley basin and that when we water our yard the run off becomes part of the river.This is one of several “Blue Holes”- one of the locations where the river surfaces. At one point in its history Lost River was deemed as the shortest and deepest river in the world by Ripley’s Believe it or Not!. Is it still? Visit and take the tour…The river flows into a cave which opening creates a large “room”. This was once used as a ballroom because of the cave’s natural “air conditioned” environment. And was a speakeasy during prohibition days. Since re-opening the cave is again being used for events. It is Purported Jesse James hid out in the cave after robbing a bank in nearby Russellville. While that remains something of folklore are confirmed to have stayed in the cave during the Civil War.In addition to the boat tour there are hiking trails, a butterfly habitat (currently not in season), a panning area, and a great gift shop. I’d say it was well worth our time and money. So, visit Lost River Cave in scenic Bowling Green, Ky! Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to go see about a job at the Bowling Green Area Convention & Visitors Bureau.

Click here to see a slideshow with more photos.

Visit the LRC website to see photos of the underground night club.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't need to take the tour. The shortest river in the world is at the Oregon Coast, and I've played in it many times. :)

Jennifer Coomer said...

But is it the DEEPEST shortest river? Hmm?

Anonymous said...

Great review of a natural wonder! Makes me want to take a tour right now. (Of course, I'm sick right now, so they may not want me!)

Thanks for stopping by this morning!

Anonymous said...

Thanks swankette your the one who see's the glass half empty your neg additude really effects folks. Have you ever poked a toe on thier park? Remember you can't judge a book by it's cover much less a place you HAVE NEVER BEEN...........

Anonymous said...

Thanks swankette your the one who see's the glass half empty your neg additude really effects folks. Have you ever poked a toe on thier park? Remember you can't judge a book by it's cover much less a place you HAVE NEVER BEEN...........