Monday, March 26, 2007

oh crap, i'm stranded!

This week’s “Oh Crap, I’m Stranded!” disc is brought to us by Michelle of House of Swank. Michelle was my Secret Pal 8 spoilee and my hearty thanks to her for being the first to make an "Oh Crap, I’m Stranded!" submission. Michelle told me that not long ago she and her husband were discussing how kids today (!) may not even know what a "desert islands disc" is. She said, "they’ll have the desert island playlist, or the top 1,000 songs, or something crazy like that." Sadly Michelle, I think you may be right. And now we probably sound like the generation before us, “You don’t even know what an 8-Track is…” when actually we do because that what the format our parents used to play their folk music when we were toddlers.

Michelle's Pick
Viva Wisconsin by Violent Femmes
If I were to be stranded on a desert island I would want to have the music of my favorite band of all time, where I could sing along to every lyric and dance my little heart out – because what the heck else is there to do on a desert island? As a ‘greatest hits’ of sorts, it also allows me music from many of their different albums, which, in the case of the Femmes, means music for every mood. You’ve got the old punk standards, the gospel-country stylings of the tunes from Hallowed Ground, and a smattering of later songs to hit all the bases you might want covered during those days that would just drag on and on and on and on. Plus, as a bonus, it’s a recording of a live concert, which means I could relive all the times I’ve seen them while out on the island. I don’t think Brian Ritchie breaks out the conch shell on this recording, but I could pretend. Because, really, life on a desert island has to get really, Really, REALLY boring, so anything to help entertain me would be appreciated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - we had an 8-track in the wood paneled station wagon that my mom drove until I was in high school! ho

Anonymous said...

A certain friend of mine who was born a year before I graduated high school said to me the other day, "Are you saying '8-track'? I thought it was 'A-track'."