Friday, June 19, 2009

polly esther: mail bag


Following my recent review of eye shadow primers I received a few questions about the use of these products that I'd like to address.
QUESTION: Do you allow primers to dry before applying shadow?
ANSWER: Yes & no.
This depends on both the primer and which type of shadow you are using. With a primer that starts out tackier - such as Urban Decay's Primer Potion - you want to allow the primer to dry slightly before applying shadow. This really doesn't take long at all. In the time it takes to gather your shadows and brushes your primer should be dry and ready to go. Primer/bases like MAC Paint Pot really require no drying time.
Now, with loose pigments or minerals - such as Bare Escentuals, MAC pigments , or Make Up For Ever Pure Pigments - you'll want to act more quickly and take advantage of the sticking power of the primer while it's still wet or tacky. Pack a flat shader brush with the loose powder and pat it onto your lid to avoid fall-out.
This is actually a comment from my mom
QUESTION: You told me if use an amount about the size of a rice grain.
ANSWER: If you use a primer from a tube - such as Too Faced Shadow Insurance that had no applicator-a good tip is that you''ll need an amount that is about the size of a grain of rice.
So, have you tried an eye shadow primer yet? I've love to know! Leave a comment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. This is getting complicated. :) When I get some new make-up, I'll have to check back with you on these details. I need some new eyeshadow too.
By the way, I want to go get a facial soon and have never had a "professional" one. When I call around at salons, what prices should I expect, and are there different kinds?