Wednesday, June 04, 2008

by-the-way, i knit a turnip

Finished: Knitted Turnip
Project: A turnip for Pastor Adam
Pattern: Farmers Market by Blue Canary Creations (see her Etsy page here)
Yarn: Vanna’s Choice by Lion Brand in Eggplant and Olive and Wool-Ease in Fisherman. Way less than one skein each.
Needles: Size US 6 double points and circulars.
The Story: One of my pastor’s shared a story in a sermon that involved turnips. Being a knitter I felt he needed a turnip. So I did some research on Ravelry and found a pattern to purchase that also has instructions for about 10 other veggies (tomato, potato, eggplant, corn on the cob with removable husk, portabella mushroom…). I finished the turnip some time ago, but had to keep it under wraps until I had given it to Adam. We’re in a small group together, so a few weeks ago I said, “by the way, I knit you a turnip” pulled it out of my bag, everyone laughed, and Adam played with it for the rest of our time together. I mean, how fun is a knitted turnip? I’d love to one day knit the entire Farmer’s Market bunch. And I actually learned a lot from that little turnip. I used some techniques that were new to me or I had not previously accomplished. I first planned to use left over yarn bits and scarps to stuff the turnip. But liked its appearance better with the yarn I knit with as some of the other colors were peeking through. That little turnip is a happy little turnip.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

voila! the mythical turnip! looks lovely. so glad i get a glimpse of it, finally.