Monday, May 21, 2007

oh crap, i'm stranded!

This week's Oh Crap, I’m Stranded! submission is by my friend and fellow knitter, SaraH. I met SaraH through Katie when, along with LYLASarah, we formed a formed a knitting group, “The Knitters”. This four-some would get together about once a month before I messed up the flow by moving to Kentucky. We are getting back on track and being more intentional about getting together for Knit Nights. SaraH is insanely crafty and talented-knitting, sewing, crocheting, embroidery, and dog mothering, just to name a few. She has a cute pup named, Dodger, who really seems to enjoy being in the presence of knitting. Check out SaraH’s blog, Lookee Here! to see some of my brilliant projects and photos of Dodger.

SaraH's pick:
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
I'm a psychedelia-lovin' child of the sixties, and Sgt. Pepper's is my stranded album.

If it wasn't so hard to pick just one album to listen to for all time, I would have written you sooner, Jennifer. But if I am honest with myself, I know I would pick Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by the Beatles pretty darn quickly. This album has been with me for a long time--I remember knowing all the words to all the songs as a second grader, due to my parents' habit of listening to the same tape in the family van for months and months at a time (years later I had to put my foot down about Paul Simon's Graceland, which is great, but we had listened to it for far too long).

I like this album for the breadth of music, from pop-y and peppy ("Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," "When I'm Sixty-four," "Lovely Rita," "Good Morning Good Morning") to whimsical ("Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," "Fixing a Hole," "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!") to introspective and eerie ("She's Leaving Home," "Within You Without You," and "A Day in the Life"). I love earlier albums, particularly Revolver and Rubber Soul, but the Beatles got so experimental with this album and enlarged what a pop band could record. We've got incredible orchestrations, crowd noises, backwards looped tape, sitars, and the song subjects are often unusual. Plus, I have so much knowledge of the Beatles, I could sit around in my stranded state, thinking about the group and its members and their history and music.

I like any melodic album with playful, unexpected lyrics, and Sgt. Pepper's comes through, every mood-creating song.

Would you like to participate in Oh Crap, I'm Stranded!? Submissions may be emailed here. You can read more about Oh Crap! here.

3 comments:

Sarah W. said...

You're too kind! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

What a timely pick: June 1st is the 40th anniversary of Pepper's release! I've been working my way through their catalog leading up to it. Have you heard the mono version? (My, but I sound like a geek!) Which do you like better between Rubber Soul and Revolver?

Sarah W. said...

I haven't heard the mono version that I am aware of. I just checked out the track lists and I would choose Rubber Soul over Revolver, though I think they could have been a double album together, they are so similar. : )

There is a movie coming out called Across the Universe, which uses Beatles songs. It looks very surreal.