Tuesday, May 01, 2007

10 on tuesday meme: 10 political figures




Ten on Tuesday: 10 Political Figures, and what I think of them

1. President Ronald Regan
I can clearly recall the day he was shot. I was seven years old and my dad and I sat on the couch in the living room of the Zion UMC parsonage in Louisville watching TV. I remember knowing that my dad was praying. So I prayed silently, too.

2. President Abraham Lincoln
He was born in Kentucky. He freed the slaves. Need I say more?

3. British Prime Minister Winston Churchill
A strong leader during WWII.

4. Former KY Lt. Gov and present Democratic Gubernatorial Candidate, Steve Beshear
First, I love the word gubernatorial. Second, the only reason I’m mentioning him is because he is a childhood friend of my dad and my uncles from Dawson Springs. The Coomer Boys, “Beshear”, and a guy they called “Moose” lived on the same street and played “Kick-the-Can” (a.k.a. “Tin-canie--O”).

5. Hillary Clinton
NO THANK YOU

6. Kentucky Supreme Court Justice John Minton, Jr.
I have known John, Jr. since I was 13-years-old. We attend the same church and my dad performed his wedding and baptized his daughter. I wish all public officials could be like him in strength of character and strong moral fiber. He’s a really nice guy, too!

7. President Jimmy Carter
I used to have great respect for this man and his humanitarian efforts and example. I once went as far as to stand in line (while I was on medical leave from work because of two herniated discs in my low back) at a Books-a-Million for hours so he could barely look me in the eye and autograph my copy of his Revolutionary War novel. But as he ages I think he’s getting a little whackity-doo. The book may end up on e-Bay some day.

8. Family Court Judge Pamela Kay Addington of Elizabethtown, KY
She’s my cousin.

9. Otis “Bullman” Hensley
Watch a few gubernatorial (seriously, love that word) debates and you’ll see why I *heart* the Bullman. Even though I’d never vote for him. Follow this link from KET.ORG.
Check out his website.

10. David Rice Atchison
Never heard of him? He was my great, great, great, great, great uncle who was President of the U.S. for one day.
Seriously.
Read more here.

Honorable Mention
Millard Fillmore

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve Beshear is such a guber.

Patois42 said...

I love that you can personalize yoru list. So cool. And "gubernatorial" is a great word.

Jennifer Coomer said...

John, I think that's why I like the word gubernatorial.

lmilla said...

good list! That's so great that you put a president-for-a-day on your list - and that he's an ancestor!!!