Thursday, April 12, 2007

for the love of the corn

When you truly love two things you figure out ways to merge them, to bring the two worlds together. Two of my main interests: knitting and Indy Car Racing. I have knit while sitting in the stands of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Nashville Super Speedway and at home during countless races (especially those without yellows that are dominated by the Red Cars…b-o-r-i-n-g). But that's nothing. Knitter knit EVERYWHERE. But now I have found a new way to support the cause. Yesterday I came across corn fiber yarn that Shelia had posted on her Threaded Bliss website. CORN fiber.

This season the Indy Racing League is running on 100% ethanol fuel. Good for the farm growers of Indiana. Good for the consumer. Good for Jeff Simmons. Many advances in the automotive world are due in part to auto racing. Did you know the rearview mirror was invented at Indianapolis?

Having made this A-MAIZing discovery I feel the need to find something to knit for Team Ethanol Driver, Jeff Simmons. I don’t know what though, a steering wheel cover? A helmet cozy? An eye patch in case next time Kosuke’s fist meets Simmons’ face? Leave your suggestions in the comments.
I’m thinking Little Boy Blue #159, Keepsake #150 and Black #169…

8 comments:

cara harjes said...

excluding danika patrick, of course, do indy car drivers wear jock straps????

Erin said...

I was thinking more along the lines of like something to cover the gear shift thingy (I totally do not watch nascar...) But jock strap- that's a pretty good one. I like the color choices for sure!

Jennifer Coomer said...

I don't want NASCAR either. ;-) Indy Racing is very different.

Jennifer Coomer said...

You know Cara, that is a good question. With all the sitting they do I would think they may not. Plus, when I see them in their suits...well...it just doesn't look like it. Maybe I'll have to google this and see if I can find an answer. If they were to wear jock straps the would probably be flame retardant.

Anonymous said...

Why would non-athletes need athletic supporters?? Oh wait, you're talking about IRL not NASCAR.

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness! LOL :)

Erin said...

Forgive my mistake! As you can obviously see, I don't watch either! But I still like the colors!

Erin said...

thanks for the explanation :D I can appreciate your love for the South. I'm a big west coast fan :) (My hubby LOVES the south. really. he's going to UT right now and well, that's a whole nother blog topic!)