Tuesday, February 17, 2009

2,000 high fives

One of my favorite stories in the Bible is the story of Jesus healing the leper. And one of my favorite aspects of this story is that, when he healed the leper, Jesus touched the man. Jesus totally could have looked at the man, not said a word, and healed him. He could have turned, walked away, and healed him for a thousand paces with this back turned. It wasn’t about Jesus’ capability to heal his body – although that was hugely important. But Jesus reached out and physically touched this man who was deemed unclean, unwanted, and untouchable in his culture. Jesus wanted to heal his heart. Heal his soul. I wonder how long it had been since this man with lepersy had felt human touch? His outward needs were obvious. Jesus knew this man’s emotional need of physical touch.

I wonder who I’ve been in contact with today who needed my touch?



I'm stealing this video from TwinCousin Eric.

5 comments:

Eric Coomer said...

That is such a good way of looking at that video. You are a preacher's kid though.

Remember all the kids that held signs up that read "Free High Fives" and "Free Hugs" at Ichthus? I always wondered what would happen if they did that in the "real world".

Jennifer Coomer said...

I was just going to post the video. Then I realized it made me think of Jesus healing the leper. But, as I once said to my pastors....some say the world is a stage. But for this preacher's kid the world is a sermon illustration.

Eric Coomer said...

...and for every preacher, everything their kid does becomes a sermon illustration.

Jennifer Coomer said...

I never minded being a sermon illustration. But Dad had to get Stephen's permission first.

Anonymous said...

Doyou remember Dad preaching aboaut Father Damiem who went to Hawaii and worked with the lepers? He died of leprosy and truly touched those people in all ways. In the paper Feb 22 he was finallly made a saint.