Tuesday, December 16, 2008

o soul life tree, o soul life tree

My mom was inspired by a photo she saw in a magazine to decorate our family Christmas tree in a new way this year. She had the great idea to do a Soul Life themed Christmas tree. 2008 has been an eventful and difficult year for us. But the Soul Life sermon Series and Wednesday night table groups at our church was a bright spot for us. It was a deep and meaningful experience for my mom, dad, and myself.We started with simple salt and flour dough. I probably hadn't worked with that kind of dough since Vacation Bible School. It was so simple and I'm thinking I should use it more often.I rolled the dough out and cut it into strips that I formed into letters.After baking (and cooling) we painted the letters.Once the paint had dried Mom attached ornament hangers and placed the words on the tree. She also added the Soul Life starburst at the top of the tree.The six spiritual disciplines that our church studied during Soul Life were:

  • Simplicity
  • Submission
  • Fasting
  • Study
  • Celebration
  • Service

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's just too cool!!!

Jennifer Coomer said...

Thank you, Shirley!

Jason said...

dude, seriously, that is the coolest thing ever. the only thing that would be more cool (cooler?) is if you got to eat the ornaments on Christmas day.

You guys are creative geniuses. You know which ministry at the church needs creative geniuses? That's right, the student ministry. Hmmm.....

Anonymous said...

you all are so creative!