Wednesday, October 01, 2008

another brick in the wall

I ordered a ladder desk a few weeks ago and waited a week for UPS to deliver a tall rectangular box to my house. Even though I had stayed home from work that day, due to a sinus infection and was blowing my nose every nine minutes and sucking on cough drops one after the other, I was determined to put that desk together. I pulled all the pieces out of the box, got all the hardware laid out, gathered all the proper tools, and read over the directions. I admired the deep espresso brown wood. I was happy with my purchase. I put on the first leg. Then the second. I flipped it all over and attached the left side, the part that will lean against the wall and hold the shelves, to the top of the desk. I moved to the right side to attach that side. But try as I might it just would not fit together. By this point I was hot and flush and sweaty – after all, I did have a sinus infection and I do tend to get fevery and swoony with those. I finally had to give up and set everything a side and rest for awhile.
After dinner I tried again. I finally realized that the pre-drilled holes were not lining up and this was not something I could fix. I would have to return it. I hauled it to my Target store and had to re-order from Target.com. The replacement finally arrived yesterday and I wasted no time putting it together. This time all the pieces fit! Now I can finish up the final touches of my bedroom re-do. I am still figuring out what I want to place on the shelves above the desk. And I have to hang a mirror on the wall behind the desk, as it will double as a writing space and a vanity. I plan to finish up some artwork this weekend and then I think it will be complete!

3 comments:

Louis Tagliaboschi said...

That is really cool looking. Are you going to send in pictures to the HGTV peeps?

Jennifer Coomer said...

I am loving it. Maybe I'll send in pictures to Elle Decor. Oh wait, I didn't decorate with any $1,000 deer antlers. Nevermind...

Sarah W. said...

Cool! I'd like to see the finished project.