Monday, May 08, 2006

true tales of a numbskull knitter

On Saturday John & I went to Eric & Daphne’s house so John could use Eric’s computer. I was knitting in the recliner in the living room watching Derby coverage (oh, I miss you WAVE-3) When Lacey (E & D’s dog) was doing something that she did not need to be doing. I jumped up, threw my clapotis down without thinking, and grabbed Lacey. Okay, so she’s in heat and she’s hormonal and moody. Bless her little Bison heart. Anyhow, I was mid-row when I threw my clapotis onto the floor. When I got back to the recliner and picked it up I realized that about 20 stitches and 4 stitch makers came off the right needle. Oh my. Can you believe I did that? I couldn’t handle it. I stuffed it all back into my knitting bag and didn’t get it out until yesterday afternoon. I fooled with it and fooled with it. I thought I had repaired the damage. I worked on it through most of DH & Grey's. But now I think my stitch markers are in the wrong places. I am convinced that if I were to ever write a knitting book it should be called “The Retarded Knitter”. Only I could never call it that because people would be offended not understanding that I use the word in its original sense.

Retarded v. to cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede.

The retarded knitter. That is me. I always seem to come up with some ridiculous way of impeding my own knitting project. It’s really a good thing that I like knitting so much or I would give up. Like I gave up gymnastics around the age of 7 once we moved past tumbling and the balance beam to the parallel bars. Banging your torso against a bar..??? I thought, “This really hurts. This cannot be right.” When that series of classes ended I told my mom I was done. Forward roll-overs…okay. Banging my belly against a bar…no way. I still can’t do a cart-wheel. But that is neither here nor there.

By-the-way, I also pick my Derby horse based on how much I liked its name. This year’s pick was Bluegrass Cat. He came in second.

p.s. Pictures above are of Lacey the day E & D brought her home. She's a big girl now.

1 comment:

Eric Coomer said...

A lot of days I really still wish Lacey looked like that.